Most Reverend Eduardo A. Nevares,
Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of Phoenix
Most Reverend Eduardo A. Nevares was ordained as the first Auxiliary Bishop for the Diocese of Phoenix on July 19, 2010, at St. Thomas Aquinas Parish in Avondale. He began his priesthood as a Missionary of Our Lady of La Salette on July 18, 1981, and was later incardinated into the Diocese of Tyler, Texas, in May 2007.
Prior to his arrival in Phoenix he served as Vice Rector of the Pontifical College Josephinum in Columbus, Ohio, after serving as the Co-Director of Vocations in the Diocese of Tyler, Texas, from 2002 until 2008. Before serving in Tyler, he was the Pastor of St. Patrick Parish in Lufkin, Texas. For 25 years, Bishop Nevares served as a Missionary of Our Lady of La Salette before he sought incardination to the Diocese of Tyler.
He was born on February 19, 1954 and grew up in a loving, stable Roman Catholic family. His parents were not rich, yet they sent all of their children to Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish School. As his mother would leave the four older children at school, they would both attend daily Mass together. It was seeing his mother's love and devotion for the Eucharist that began to instill in Bishop Nevares a desire to be a priest.
Since his ordination, Bishop Nevares has served in a variety of postings and served on several committees, boards, and councils:
• 1981-1988: Parochial Vicar of St. Patrick Parish, Lufkin, Texas
• 1988-1991: Vocations Director of Missionaries of Our Lady of La Salette (St.
• 1991: Parochial Vicar of Our Lady of Sorrow Church, Jacksonville, Texas
• 1991-1993: Catholic Chaplain of Stephen F. Austin State University,
• 1993-2002: Pastor of St. Patrick Parish, Lufkin, Texas
• 2002-2008: Co-Director of Vocations of Diocese of Tyler, Texas
• 2008-2010: Vice Rector of the Pontifical College Josephinum, Columbus, Ohio
• 2010-Present: Auxiliary Bishop of Diocese of Phoenix
• 2010–Present: USCCB Committee on Immigration
• 2011–Present: USCCB Catholic Legal Immigration Network, Inc. Committee
• 2011-Present: Board of Directors, Catholic Education Arizona
(formerly Catholic Tuition Organization of the Diocese of Phoenix)
• 2012-2013: President of the Arizona Ecumenical Council.
Most Rev. Eduardo A. Nevares
Auxiliary Bishop of Phoenix